Saturday 30 November 2013

A little Day in Brum

I don't usually do 'normal' posts. I.e.:posts where my life is not appearing to end or I am not on the brink of suicide or complete euphoria.

So breaking the mould with this one and just going to share a little one...

I went to Brum today to meet my lovely friend who is at Uni in Coventry. I was meant to be staying the weekend with her...but...not surprisingly 'anxiety-anorexic-stuckinthemud-routine head' ruled over the heart and I wimped out. I am fortunate that she is a very understanding (and long suffering) friend and was not at all perturbed when I begged a compromise of a day in Birmingham instead.

If any of you lovely readers are au fait with the UK, then you will know of the wonderful Bullring; the massive shopping centre (mall) in Birmingham. Man, I love it. One thing I DO know I enjoy is shopping. The world of Fashion, the superficial, aesthetic, skinny-modelled world of fashion is my haven. Vintage, retro and that sort of edgy sect is my forte. I long to be dirty stinking rich so that even if my life doesn't ever get better, I can live out depression and anorexia in beautiful clothes surrounded by beautiful things, with beautiful hair, with a beautiful home and smelling of beautiful perfumes. However I believe the notion of anorexia allowing any such financial success in life is rather skewed.

Anyway.

Had a great day. Birmingham also has its annual German Christmas market on and we happened to be lucky enough to be there on the weekend it is set up. The market extends for several streets, each stall is in a faux log cabin, adorned with loops of bright fairy lights. The allies either side of the stalls are absolutely rammed, and you hold your bag close and shelve any notion of politeness if you have any brains. It is a case of who barges the most forcefully will get to their destination the quickest, and timid 'excuse mes' have no place in such surroundings. Sharp elbows and stampy feet in sturdy boots are required.

All around you German 'wursts' (sausage) are strung up from the gables of the stalls, looking in my opinion like rows and rows of amputated, shrivelled penises, but no doubt still very tasty ones at that. The sound of sizzling rises above the human hubbub. I was tortured by the wafts of so many fried delights and festive German bakes. Sausages, cured meats, pretzels, pastries, sugared nuts, Lebekuchen and huge decorated gingerbreads. And how could I forget the honeyed alcoholic beverages being served everywhere in traditional German flagons (said beverage accounted for much of the in-car entertainment provided by pissed-out-of-their-brains boys on the train journey home).

Everything was so pretty. Personally, I hate Christmas but this was an exception. Everything seemed very happy and cheery and twinkly. Maybe this, too, was down to the rather prolific and generous provision of alcohol and rib sticking foods; the two things that are eminently appealing to Brits.

If only I had not been bone numbingly cold we could have stayed out longer. The meaning 'I am frozen' doesn't really mean much to someone who hasn't been anorexic. I could fill a whole post with the experience of an anorexic's winter. I will, one day whether you like it or not. Suffice to say it is truly horrific.

Anyway here are some snaps...






By now you should know which one I am- in case not- I'm the one with short one least hair and gold around my neck ;)

7 comments:

  1. You sound like you had a fun day, that's great ;-) I love your short hair... very cute ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks launna, I hope you're keeping ok?x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a really nice day! I'm definitely in support of you doing a post about an anorexics winter! If you manage to explain it how it really is, to the extent, you'd most definitely deserve a medal! More than one in fact!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I could think of was "man! she is so in style!" haha you're beautiful. Come dress me because I'm always content in my work out clothes. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I never feel in style haha. I just aim to not look too horrific and thats about as far as i get! But thank you my dear ;) Hope you're looking after your pretty self xxx

      Delete
  5. Ah, I live near here when I'm home from uni! It's so great isn't it?! The bullring is perfect for people who love fashion and it's really great at Christmas too. I'm glad you had a good day - you definitely deserve it. And - do you know how pretty you are? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore it, its a right treat for me to go there, Derby is so unbelievably rubbish and boring that I am like a crazy kid when i get to go to birmingham haha! Pretty-Ii wish! Not as pretty as you, lovely! xxx

      Delete